3. The pin pricks your skin. You feel nothing.
'It was weird for me to be with a woman in labor who wasn't in any pain. I have never experienced that. She seemed very calm and in control. She even took a nap. It was a relief to be in the room this time though. Last time, she wouldn't let me in and nobody told me what was going on. I was at the hospital from 6 a.m. to 2 a.m. and I only saw her once. It was agonizing being so close to the room and not knowing what was happening. Nobody told me anything. This time was much nicer. I was able to stay with her most of her labor.'
'It was friggen weird having her mother in the room at first. Those silent moments when you don't know what the hell to say. A few times I went to get something to eat and I wasn't hungry. I just had to get out of there. My dad was in the hospital too, he had surgery the next day, so I went to visit a few times. It was way better than last time, she was relaxed and could sleep. She wasn't hellbent on no epidural. If I had to push a human out of me, I would want the drugs.'
'Everything was going well until she was fully dilated and the doctor asked her to push. Nothing happened. The baby wasn't dropping and there was nothing they could do for her. I felt so bad for her, she didn't want to have a c-section. They stopped the drugs to prep for surgery and that's when her pain started. I didn't know what to do with myself. My baby was in pain and I couldn't help. All I could do was try not to cry until they took her away. I wanted to be strong for her.'
'It was fine until about hour 21. She just laid there, her eyes were closed and her knuckles were white. She had a death grip on those railings on the side of the bed. I asked her what I could do, but she didn't say anything. I just kept telling her it would be over soon and he would be here. What the hell else could I do? My job was easy last time, just wet the cloth and put it on her forehead. I couldn't even friggen do that. She was shaking like crazy, I thought she was cold but the nurse said it was from the drugs. I thought she didn't have anymore? Jesus, look at her, it doesn't look like she's got any painkillers! I just wanted to get her the hell in the OR. Get this over with.'
'It was forever until I could see her. I actually saw the baby first. Ron walked him into the nursery and I looked through the glass. I asked Ron how long it would be until we could see her, but he didn't know so I sat in the waiting room. It felt like it did the last time, nobody could tell me anything, and I couldn't see her. The only surgery she's had was her wisdom teeth, and even that was nerve wracking.'
'I had to wait outside the OR for a few minutes before I could go in. That sucked. I didn't want to think about her in so much pain without me. The stuff I had to wear was pretty ridiculous too. When they let me in, I saw her on the table and felt like I was gonna hurl. There she was, still shaking like crazy. She kept telling the nurse she was going to throw up, I don't know if they didn't believe her or what, but she did. I had never seen her so vulnerable before, not even the last time. Last time, she was so strong it blew me away. This time just scared me. Surgery sucks. She couldn't even hold the baby when they brought him over, she was shaking so bad. She told me to go with him, but I didn't want to leave her. I couldn't fight with her though.'
I like this without--after two readings--fully understanding it.
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure if it's a series of testimonies from different men about their experiences in the delivery and waiting rooms with a series of different women or the experiences of one family's men dealing with the same woman's labor or one man talking about the labor.
It would have been good if that were clearer, but each one of these vignettes is on its own very good indeed, real keepers each and every one, so although overall clarity would have been a plus, the force and strength of these separate vingettes with their different voices and powerful details trump the weakness.
So, I guess you go a step too far in the alienation, but, as I say, I'm not complaining too loudly--this has some wonderful things in it.
ReplyDelete